Colby-Sawyer College offers online and hybrid courses. Students are able to take 100% online courses that apply to their program of study. Online courses allow students flexible access to high quality credit bearing courses. Students in online courses interact with faculty and collaborate with fellow students to meet course outcomes through weekly online discussions and submission of assignments. Online courses are equivalent in rigor and outcomes to traditional courses.
The online programs and courses ensure access to high quality and progressive curriculum through Moodle, the college’s learning management system. Online students are subject to the same policies and processes as students in traditional courses unless specifically stated otherwise. Hybrid programs will have some in-person courses as well as online courses.
*Does not apply to the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree (ABSN)
Colby-Sawyer College is a participant in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). Consumer protection within SARA provides for the investigation and resolution of complaints that an institution is operating a course or program contrary to practices set forth in the Interregional Guidelines for the Evaluation of Distance Education in such a way that a student is harmed.
Before submitting an allegation, it is important that students first contact the appropriate official(s) at Colby-Sawyer College, following the grievance procedure outlined in this catalog. Grade appeals and conduct complaints are expressly excluded by SARA. To file a complaint against a New Hampshire institution with the NH Department of Education, Division of Higher Education, Higher Education Commission, one must exhaust all avenues with the college for resolution. In accordance with standard practice for SARA states, the Division has established a web page for recording of a complaint against a participating New Hampshire institution: https://my.doe.nh.gov/ESSWEB/HigherEducation/Complaint.aspx
Definitions for online students
- Full-time online student: must be registered for 12 credits per semester
- Half-time online student: must be registered for 6 credits per semester
- Part time online student: registered for less than 6 credits in any given semester
- All students are welcome to submit a FAFSA to determine eligibility for federal and state grants and loans (school code 002572).
International students and distance education:
- Students on an F-1 Student Visa may take only one online class of the minimum 12 credit hours needed for a full course of study in each semester. If that threshold is met, they may take additional online classes.
- International students may apply to 100% online degree programs from their home countries. Colby-Sawyer College does not issue I-20 Forms (U.S. Department of Homeland Security Certificates of Eligibility for student visas) and therefore cannot fulfill requests for student visas for international students enrolled in 100% online degree programs.
- International students who are in the United States on a work visa must contact their Human Resource representative at their place of employment to determine if they (the student) are eligible to take online courses.
- Students who hold a green card are considered a lawful permanent resident of the United States; therefore, they are allowed to live, work and study in the United States without prior authorization.
The Code of Community Responsibility and conduct system applies to all students.